Thursday, November 26, 2009

Reuse coffee bean?

Recently there are uproar, about sustainable future, go green etc.

Most of them concern about sustainable development.

The goal is that the 'mother earth' ages can be prolong and that there is tomorrow for the next generation.

So, even scientific studies has this 'for the sake of the future' theme stick to it.

About that, my final year project also has this theme in it.

That is, I use Used coffee ground to remove heavy metal from water.

Not my idea actually, I just do it according to my advisor.

But still it quite interesting for me because its like killing Two Bird with one Stone with this research.

Clean the water + Recycling (save resources)

There other options like biological process but unfortunately its very EXPENSIVE

On the otherhand, used coffee bean are Extremely cheap.

Rather, you can even said it is useless, garbage etc. because no one using want it. (cost nothing!)

The exhausted coffee ground (ECG) is used to ADSORP the heavy metal.

ABSORP - Into the material, ADSORP - Only on the surface of the material (don't be confuse!)

Currently, the best ABSORBENT is activated carbon which is EXPENSIVE.

ABSORBENT - material that use to adsorp.

I won't discuss any further...CONFIDENTIAL!

1 comment:

  1. such a good n wonderful idea :)

    Good Luck for your final project !

    ReplyDelete